If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Our mid-week escape

 

After an early-morning dip in the warm-water pool, we drove to Mollymook for my six-monthly check-up with the dermatologist. All he wanted to know how my leg operation - see here - had healed up which took him all of 5 minutes. It took his wife longer to write the receipt for $120. The miracles of modern medicine!

We had meant to have lunch at our favourite Chinese restaurant but for some inscrutable Chinese reason it was closed today. We tried the only other Chinese restaurant in town and that was closed as well. A Chinese conspiracy? We sought refuge in the Ulladulla Bowling Club which has new caterers with a great choice of several Western and Asian dishes.

 

In memory of the biggest COKE drinker in his day on Bougainville Island
who is still a regular reader of this blog, I ordered a large glass of COKE

 

They've scrapped the table service. Instead, a beeper goes off when the order is ready. What a great idea for my old age: I just wear it and when it flashes, vibrates or beeps, someone will come and take me home!

 

 

Of course, I couldn't leave Ulladulla without giving the book sections in my favourite op-shops the once-over. The good ladies at the Lions Club of Ulladulla Lions Preloved Bookshop - to give it its full name! - had a real treat for me: two long out-of-print classics about New Guinea - and how could I ignore a Folio Society edition in mint condition of "The Best After-Dinner Stories"? It was priced at $25 but it's all for a good cause.

 


Of course, you can read them online here and here, but you'd be missing
out on all that biblichor, the comforting, faint and musty smell of old books.

 

I leave you with this thought displayed at the bookshop's cash register:

 

 


Googlemap Riverbend