If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

45 years ago ...



... a 'schmart' commercial just like this one convinced me to make a fresh start in Australia!



Apart from my genetic German arrogance and too much self-confidence, the Immigration Department's medical officer could find nothing wrong with me.


The Interviewing Officer described me as "Appears good type. Understands employment prospects. Should settle without difficulties. Questions to the point. Neatly dressed." and marked the Processing Sheet with "ACCEPT".

With regards to employment prospects, he had already put me down as "Factory Worker". Little did he know that I was never going to see a factory from the inside - see [here].


I quickly signed the undertaking that "Should I require for special reasons to depart from the Commonwealth of Australia before the expiration of two years from the date of arrival, I will, prior to such departure, pay to the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia a sum equal to the amount that was granted to me ... towards the cost of passage to Australia ..." and "That, while I remain in Australia, I will use every endeavour to learn the English language ...", and I was on my way!

More [here].