If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, November 27, 2010

My next project

Click for a full-size view of the fale

Ever since 1978 when I lived and worked in Samoa, I have been in love with their fale, the Samoans' traditional dwelling, so perfectly adapted to their lifestyle and climate.

When I returned to Samoa in 2007, I lived in a miniature fale on Taufua Beach and jotted down its dimensions so I could one day build something similar at "Riverbend".

Not having a tape-measure with me, I used the length of my trouser belt and came up with the following dimensions:

Floor height off the ground: ¼ trouser belt length
Height from floor to lower edge of roof: 1 trouser belt length
Roof height from lower edge to apex: 2 trouser belt lengths
Floor area (approx.): 4¼ x 2¾ trouser lengths

Three years ago, my trouser belt was one metre long. Let's build the fale before my trouser belt gets longer and the building costs go up!



P.S. Noticed my t-shirt drying on the fale's roof? It's the Samoan equivalent of the Australian Hill's Hoist, one of our many great inventions.