If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Old bankers never die, they just lose interest!

Yours truly outside the ANZ Bank Kingston A.C.T. in 1969


The ANZ Retired Officers' Club is holding its Christmas Party on the 6th of December in Sydney. Some former colleagues, whom I last saw in the late 'sixties, have urged me to attend so we can meet up again.

However, only members can attend. To become a member, one has to have had at least 20 years' service with the ANZ Bank.

20 years! That's half a lifetime!

Instead of working with the ANZ Bank for 20 years, I stayed for just two-and-a-bit and moved on to 50-odd (or should that be 50 odd?) other jobs in Germany, South-West Africa, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Burma, Singapore, Iran, Australia, Western Samoa, Malaysia, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and Greece. Much more fun than serving behind a bank counter for 20 years!

Anyway, I submitted my membership application and promised that, if they let me come to the Christmas Party, I'll wear the old ANZ-Bank tie, with my underwear on the head and two pencils stuck up my nose.

The tie that binds


Some of the "Bank Johnnies" in 1967 outside the boarding-house 'Barton House'.
Yours truly third from right. Click on image to see the boarding house

Old bankers never die, they just want to be a loan!