If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Don's (Last) Party


It took me all of two hours this morning to get dressed as I had to find a pair of suit-trousers that would still fit me to attend Don Runciman's funeral at the Nelligen Cemetery.

I first met Don almost as soon as I had arrived in Nelligen in 1992, through another old friend, "Sandy" Sandilands, and over the next twenty years we shared many drinks, stories, and laughters.

I always thought that Don was quite a bit older than me and became a little agitated during the service when I read in the eulogy that he was born in 1947 and had been two years younger. This was getting a bit close for comfort! For whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee?

It turned out to be a 'typo' and his date of birth should have read '1927'. Saved by the bell - for now!