If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

It's not a pirate ship but it's Notorious

 

There is nothing I'd rather do than rummage through bookshops and to find the one book I've always wanted - and then three or four more I hadn't even known I wanted. And so, after a morning spent in the Bay's op-shops and bookshops, and laden with 'treasures' of various kinds (of which more later), I was about to cross the bridge when I saw something notorious.

 

Graeme and Felicity Wiley aboard NOTORIOUS

 

It was, of course, the Notorious, an 18m, 60-tonne ship modelled on the Spanish or Portuguese caravels that Christopher Columbus and Vasco da Gama used to discover the New World. Furniture maker Graeme Wylie spend 10 years building the ship north of Warrnambool out of recycled timber, and finally finished it in 2011. "It took me 2½ years of research then 8½ years of building before it was finished," skipper Graeme Wylie said. Follow Notorious on facebook.

 

 

The $5 admission was money well spent to round off a pleasant day.