If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, May 25, 2020

It is a dark and stormy night ...

 

... and I want to be transported back to a time when both the world and I were still young - and decidedly warmer than tonight's "Riverbend".

Greece may still be envisioned by some as old guys in sheets wandering around the Acropolis spouting wisdom before somebody pours hemlock in their ear, but my guess is that they will change their minds after having watched Melina Mercouri do her stuff in "Never on Sunday".

The film is a mix of Pygmalion plus "hooker with a heart of gold", and tells the story of Ilya, a self-employed, free-spirited prostitute who lives in the port of Piraeus in Greece, and Homer, an American tourist and classical scholar who is enamored of all things Greek.

Homer Thrace: She killed them. Medea herself, does she not say, “I killed my children”?
Ilya: And you believe her? You don’t understand the women. Medea loves her husband, yes?
Homer Thrace: Yes.
Ilya: Her husband is interested in another woman? Yes?
Homer Thrace: Yes.
Ilya: So she said to her husband that she has killed her children to frighten him, to get him back.
Homer Thrace: No!
Ilya: Yes. She gets him back, and everybody go away and everybody is happy and they go to the seashore. And that’s all!
Homer Thrace: If I show you that everything that was ever written about Medea talks of her killing her children. If you ask 10 out of 10 people who saw the play and they tell you it’s true, then by simple logic. . .You’re a Greek, you should be logical.
Ilya: Why?
Homer Thrace: Because the greatest Greek of them all, Aristotle, invented logic. He said –
Ilya: Who?
Homer Thrace: Aristotle. . .
Ilya: Aristotle! The one that the Captain said thinks men are everything and women are nothing? I don’t care what he said, Aristotle.


Homer Thrace: It's extraordinary. Where do you learn all those languages?
Ilya: In bed.

Both Greece’s film industry and the entire nation took centre stage when the film was released in October of 1960, and it led to massive increases in tourism and location-shooting there.

Some twenty years later, I lived and worked in Piraeus by which time Melina Mercouri was already a not-so-sprightly 64 years old. Piraeus was still as lively and, in parts, as bawdy as shown in this movie, but never on Monday when I went back to work in my office at # 3 Agiou Nikolaou to manage my Saudi boss's commodity trading and fleet of bulk carriers.

 

My office at red pin in centre of map: # 3 Agiou Nikolaou;
my apartment at smaller yellow pin at bottom of map: # 2 Voudouri
click here for GOOGLE Map

 

 

Oh, you can kiss me on a Monday
A Monday, a Monday is very, very good
Or you can kiss me on a Tuesday
A Tuesday, a Tuesday, in fact I wish you would
Or you can kiss me on a Wednesday
A Thursday, a Friday and Saturday is best
But never, never on a Sunday
A Sunday, a Sunday, 'cause that's my day of rest

Most any day you can be my guest
Any day you say, but my day of rest
Just name the day that you like the best
Only stay away on my day of rest

Oh, you can kiss me on a cool day, a hot day
A wet day, which everyone you choose
Or try to kiss me on a gray day, a May day
A pay day, and see if I refuse
And if you make it on a bleak day
A freak day, a week day, why you can be my guest
But never, never on a Sunday

 

Indulge yourself and listen to the soundtracks here

 

facebook

 

"And everybody is happy and they go to the seashore." Some memories can get you through even the darkest and stormiest night.

 


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. See also Armchair-travelling on a windy day