If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, January 7, 2021

An Idiot Abroad

 

I've just been down to BUNNINGS to buy a shiny new pair of gum boots which is de rigueur footwear at "Riverbend", where time is measured not in years but by the number of gum boots you've worn out: it's my eighth pair since coming here in 1993, I think.

On the way, I popped into my favourite op-shop and picked up the four-disc series 1 and 2 of "An Idiot Abroad". No, it's not a dramatisation of my yet-to-be-published memoirs, but a travel comedy series with Karl Pilkington who prefers a caravan holiday in Wales but finishes up visiting the Seven Wonders of the World, including the pyramids along the Nile.

Speaking of which, I also picked up a copy of DENIAL, the true story of how American historian Deborah Lipstadt spoke out against Holocaust denier David Irving. Being in part (which part?) still a German, I beat myself up at least once a day, and watching this will be my daily dose.


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. By the way, banks should do a better job to ensure their ATMs are filled. I've been to four ATMs in town; they all said, "Insufficient Funds".