If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

I never got there in 1969 ...

Paul and Leah Waterston, aboard ESCAPE II, sailing to Pigeon Island

 

More than fifty years ago, I very nearly took a not-so-promising job on Pigeon Island - click here. A few years later, I took another job in the Solomons - click here. Much, much later I read Lucy Irvine's book "Faraway".

As I wrote elsewhere, I was sorely tempted to go to Pigeon Island but I was also concerned about my professional career and what "career" would there've been with something called "Pigeon Island Traders" located on one of the remotest islands in the South Pacific? Instead, I accepted another offer from a firm of chartered accountants in the then Territory of Papua & New Guinea - and I have never looked back!

It was not until now, more than fifty years later, that I had my first good look around Pigeon, thanks to Paul and Leah Waterston, an Australian couple, who in 2019 sailed through the Solomons, called in at Pigeon Island, met Ben Hepworth (Leah tells me, after reading my blog they even used my name as a reference), and uploaded this amazing video.

 

Drumming up business for Ben? Why not! He could use it! Click here
(if h4e241a@sailmail.com is hard to reach; try tavakie@gmail.com)
(for a brochure, click here)

 

What a buzz! I immediately messaged Lucy Irvine via her facebook page, giving her the link to the video clip (together with a sizeable donation to her "Lucy Irvine Foundation Europe, LIFE")). It's a small world, isn't it?

Now I need several more hours to go through all those other amazing "Sailing Catamaran Escape" video clips!


Googlemap Riverbend

 

A collection of "Sailing Catamaran Escape" video clips:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5 Part 1
Episode 5 Part 2
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21
Episode 22
Episode 23
Episode 24
Episode 26
Episode 27
Episode 28
Episode 29
Episode 30
Episode 31
Episode 32 (above video)
Episdoe 33
Episode 34
Episode 35
Episode 36
Episode 37
Episode 38
Episode 39
Episode 40
Episode 41
Episode 42


Episode 43 Part 3
Episode 44
Episode 45
Episode 46
Episode 47
Episode 48
Episode 49
Episode 50
Episode 51
Episode 52
Episode 53
Episode 54
Episode 55
Episode 56
Episode 57