If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, December 18, 2023

The School of Life


Go to www.theschooloflife.com

 

There is a quote that says, "it’s never too late for new beginnings in your life". We are all trapped in a myth that there is a certain age limit on when you can start to learn and when it is too late. This is a thought that needs to be forgotten. If you hate your job or career and crave a new change then it is never too late to start.

Many people assume that skill development is an ‘age sensitive’ thing and can only apply to people who are just starting their career. Whether you are 17 or 75 there is no reason why you can’t start now. Age is nothing but a number. In fact it is said that learners of the average age of 80 are less likely to develop brain-related illnesses such as dementia.

Learning is a necessity. It is simply a tool that nourishes our mind and relieves our soul. Learning new skills is a way of preparing you to feel more ready to take on new challenges and opportunities that will come your way. It keeps your mind engaged and allows you to explore new paths for your future.

It isn’t just about making money; it is about protecting your wellbeing, making sure you are enjoying what you do and allowing the world to open up new opportunities for you. Don’t be afraid to take on a new challenge, it could be the best thing that you ever do. Which is where "The School of Life" come in.

 

 

I'm sure they must be missing me at my favourite op-shop in the Bay as I haven't been back there for over a month. As soon as my leg has healed enough and I'm mobile enough, I'll be back in there but for the moment I'm still going through some past treasuries I picked up several months ago, one of which is Alain de Botton's Volume 1 of "The School of Life".

 

Read it online at www.archive.org

 

I don't know why anyone would surrounder such an engaging book to an op-shop because it's the sort of book that you'd dip into time and time again as I've been doing this weekend while sitting on the verandah facing the timeless river. My only regret is that I didn't read it fifty, even sixty years ago, although I'm consoled by the copyright imprint on the inside page: "First published 2012 by Macmillan Publishers Limited".

By that time I had already committed most of my life's biggest mistakes, but as they say, "it’s never too late for new beginnings in your life".


Googlemap Riverbend