If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, December 21, 2023

TAIM BILONG MASTA


You can read the book online here

 

This book, based on the twenty-four-part ABC Radio series TAIM BILONG MASTA which was first broadcast in 1981, has been out of print for a long time and is now as rare as hen's teeth. I bought my first copy, together with the audio cassette tapes, in 1983 on a flying business trip from Saudi Arabia to Adelaide where I found them at the ABC Shop in Rundle Mall.

I have treasured this book ever since, and a long time ago replaced the warped tapes with mp3 recordings on a tiny memory stick so I can take them with me wherever I go. They were my nightcap during those lonely years in the world's largest sandbox, and I still listen to them today even though I can quote from them almost verbatim.

Yesterday I found another copy of the book tucked away in a dusty corner at the local Salvos, and I immediatelely "rehomed" it, not so much for my sake as I still have my copy but for any old friend from my New Guinea days who may no longer have or never had a copy.

Until then you may wish to listen to the ABC Radio series here:

 

Episode 1 Never a Colony

Episode 2 The Good Time Before

Episode 3 God's Shadow on Earth

Episode 4 The Loneliness and the Glory

Episode 5 On Patrol

Episode 6 Sailo

Episode 7 The Boat Came Every Six Weeks

Episode 8 Masta Me Like Work

Episode 9 The Violent Land

Episode 10 Moneymakers and Misfits

Episode 11 Wife and Missus

Episode 12 Growing Up

Episode 13 Into The Highlands

Episode 14 The Promised Land

Episode 15 First Contact

Episode 16 Gold

Episode 17 The Good News

Episode 18 The Mission Rush

Episode 19 You Had To Be Firm

Episode 20 Across the Barriers

Episode 21 Courts and Calaboose

Episode 22 War

Episode 23 A Reason For Being There

Episode 24 Going Finish

 

 


Googlemap Riverbend