If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Will I make Sarawak my second home?

 

Maybe you don't know too much about the Brooke family, the "White Rajahs", who founded and ruled the north-west coast of the island of Borneo from 1841 to 1946. It was their reward for helping the Sultanate of Brunei fight piracy and insurgencies.

 


To learn more about the Rajah of Sarawak, click here

 

So where is Sarawak, I hear you ask? Well, it's on Borneo, the world's third-largest island and Asia's largest island. Both Sarawak and Sabah belong to the Federation of Malaysia; the rest belongs to Indonesia (Padma was born in Samarinda and I worked for TOTAL - Compagnie Française des Pétroles in Balikpapan, both in East Kalimantan).

These days you no longer have to fight pirates or be a "Lord Jim" to live in Borneo; you click on "Sarawak, My Second Home" or get Aramaz to do it all for you. The requirements for a couple to obtain a permanent residency visa are as simple as this: (one Malaysian Ringgit = 32 Australian cents)

  • a fixed deposit account of RM300,000.00 (RM150,000 for single)
  • a monthly offshore income of RM10,000.00 (RM7,000 for single)
  • a clean bill of health
  • a letter of good conduct
So get off my back, Albanese and Chalmers, or I may go apes and live with the orangutans. In the meantime, I keep whetting my appetite:

 

 


Googlemap Riverbend