If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Clipped participles

I've just returned from radio duty with "The Grumpy Old Men and the Sea", officially known as Marine Rescue.

It was a slow drive home as I was stuck behind one of those low-loaders pulling half a house up the mountain. It gave me lots of time to ponder about the "D"-less sign in front of me.

"Shouldn't it be 'OVERSIZED LOAD'?" I kept asking myself. "Is this a compromised spelling or a compromise spelling?"

Of course, it should be "oversized" but, like the captain of the H.M.S. Pinafore, these truckers never use the big, big "D."

I arrived at Nelligen, grammatically completely "D"-stabilised.