If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Push here, dummy; pull here, dummy

 

One day an Englishman, an American, and a Newfie walked into a pub together. They proceeded to each buy a pint of Molson Canadian. Just as they were about to enjoy their beverage three flies landed in each of their pints. The Englishman pushed his beer away from him in disgust. The American fished the offending fly out of his beer and continued drinking it as if nothing had happened. The Newfie picked the fly out of his drink and started shaking it over the pint, yelling, “SPIT IT OUT, SPIT IT OUT, YOU BASTARD!!!”

I was reminded of this Newfie joke after I had placed an order for button accordion music with good ol' Billy of Accordions4U.com in Newfoundland. Being a very substantial order, I had asked for a special deal to compensate for the rather expensive postage but instead of a discount was given the fly treatment.

Still, I'm not complaining as there's no one else selling Billy's unique musical notations for button accordion. They call me the Van Gogh of the button accordion - meaning I have no ear for it - and without those notations I wouldn't be able to play any of those favourites I've just ordered from Billy:

The Wild Colonial Boy
Sweet Forget Me Not
Sweet Rosie O’Grady
It’s A Long Way To Tipperary
Tennessee Waltz
Bicycle Built For Two
On The Sidewalks Of New York
I belong To Glasglow
My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean
When Irish Eyes Are Smiling
All Things Bright And Beautiful
In the Sweet By And By
Amazing Grace
What A Friend We Have In Jesus
Nearer My God To Thee
The Old Rugged Cross
Stand Up Stand Up For Jesus
Auld Lang Syne
Danny Boy
Galway Bay
I Know Where I’m Going
My Wild Irish Rose
The Spinning Wheel
The Rose Of Tralee
When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

Which reminds me: do you know the definition of a gentleman? Somebody who knows how to play the accordion, but doesn't.

P.S. And while I was in a spending mood (which doesn't happen often ☺ ), I also lashed out on a second second-hand HOHNER Erica button accordion in the keys of G and C.

It's advertised as "Looks, plays and sound very good" on ebay and will come all the way from Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty. I hope it will give me plenty of good tunes. I'm still wondering how I might recover its cost. Here's one idea: