If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, August 8, 2020

What is happening to our world? What's the point of the work I spend so much of my creative energy on? What do I want to leave behind? Is there any-thing more to it all than "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"?

 

If these questions are bothering you, then Stephen Green's book "Good Value - Reflections on Money, Morality, and an Uncertain World" may provide some of the answers. But then again, why ruin a perfectly good question with an answer?

What is progress? Is it material wealth, or is it something more fundamental: the increased ability to create such goods as happiness, love and friendship (although we should not underestimate the part material wealth has in that)?

Why should I care? If I am as contented as can be expected and my world is well tended and well protected, why should I lift a finger? As Groucho Marx said, "Why should I bother about posterity? What has posterity ever done for me?"

Still, it's worth a try, especially when you can get the answers for free by reading the book online at www.archive.org. To "borrow" the book, simply join up - it costs nothing! - then log in and borrow.


Googlemap Riverbend