If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Handling Krauts

 

After twenty years at "Riverbend", I am no longer good at handling Krauts (and I mean that any way you want to spell it) but today I had to drive into the Bay for some serious shopping at various hardware stores for my next project (of which more in due course).

Of course, I also checked out the second-hand books at Vinnies and the Salvos and came away with Simon Winchester's The Meaning of Everything - The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary (I had already read his "Surgeon of Crowthorne") and John Man's Alpha Beta - How our alphabet shaped the western world. And for a bit of fiction, I picked up Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels which was made into a film with hauntingly beautiful scenes of the Greek island of Zakynthos. I wonder if I can find the DVD on ebay?

It's nice to be back at "Riverbend", far from the madding Krauts, to settle down to another day (or two) of reading.