If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, February 4, 2017

I was the Dennis Denuto of the computing world

 

Watching this part of "The Castle", I was reminded of my own foray into self-employment when I ran Canberra Computer Accounting Systems from what was at first one and then two spare bedrooms in my house.

The language was often the same, except that I didn't have a girl come in on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays - well, not for work anyway! ☺

In every other aspect though I had to be a jack-of-all-trades, as well as the master of a diverse range of computer software and hardware products, as being a one-stop shop was my major selling point.

I even was a certified installer of NOVELL and LANTASTIC networking software. To this day I wonder why I didn't get myself certified full-stop, because, determined as I was to remain a one-man-band, I never achieved the economies of scale to fully utilise all that knowledge.

However, the constant challenge and variety of work kept me in one place for a record fifteen years. I don't think I would've lasted fifteen months in a 9-to-5 job. And the earnings, although unpredictable, always averaged out to a good salary, and without having to brown-nose an unappreciative boss.

When you're young, you have dreams; when you're old, you have memories. Although I never bought myself a new photocopier and was never seen on television, I can honestly say, "Thanks for the memories, Canberra Computer Accounting Systems !