If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, April 16, 2017

The vulgar boatmen

 

This being the long Easter weekend, there are quite a few on the river. And with the house only metres from the river and me sitting on the verandah in the sun and lost in a state of quiet reverie, they're sometimes hard to ignore.

Just now a foul-mouthed foursome in a tinny with tinnies in their hands drifted past. Seeing the  FOR SALE -sign by the jetty, they yelled out, "Hey, mate, emma chisit?" I didn't have the heart to tell them that their Centrelink benefits wouldn't even cover the repayments.

Not wanting any further interruptions, I nailed an additional sign to the front gate and went, Graham Greene's "Travels with My Aunt" and glass of wine in hand, to the more secluded 'clubhouse' by the pond.

 

A friend just emailed me, "Very intimidating signs on the entrance gate and very likely to promote serious vandalism from those so inclined. Is this a photoshop spoof or the real thing? If it’s real and necessary I would suggest that you move; immediately or sooner."
Gotcha, Chris! ☺

 

Now don't get the wrong impression: I don't drink wine all the time. Only when I'm happy or stressed, or relaxing alone or with friends, or when I'm busy or lazy - or being annoyed by vulgar boatmen.


www.tiny.cc/riverbendmap

 

P.S. If you're not into reading, watch the novel's movie adaptation which departs hugely from the original story but has Maggie Smith's stellar performance to make up for it.