If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

I've seen it all before

Black Tuesday in Australia, October 21 1987, when the ASX plunged a massive 25 per cent

 

For two days the Australian share market has been behaving badly. Today it dropped another $60 billion as we followed the United States in a mad scramble for the exits, with early futures trading on Wall Street indicating that the carnage is likely to continue tomorrow.

What's the reason for this sudden scramble? No-one seems to know. Perhaps someone yelled "Fire!" and people started running. Others saw them running and began running too and it became a stampede.

I didn't join them because I've seen it all before. Instead, I made my first foray for the year into Batemans Bay where I sat down for a Senior's Special at Michel's Patisserie from where I had a good view of the shallow end of the human gene pool.

The only person not casually dressed to the point of looking uncouth was the shopping centre's security guard. Watching that passing parade of single mums with kids who are bastards just like their fathers, adults so obscenely obese they could make a living in a freak show, and aliens from another planet in dreadlocks and heavy tattooes, I felt so full of despair that I buried my head in Clive James' "North Face of Soho - More Unreliable Memoirs", one of four books I'd picked up earlier.

This legendary author, poet, journalist and humorist recently cast a weary eye over the state of the climate debate and has concluded that climate alarmists are on the ropes: "The proponents of man-made climate catastrophe asked us for so many leaps of faith that they were bound to run out of credibility in the end." Listen to more here and read this exclusive extract from his essay "Mass Death Dies Hard". And here's the book: "Climate Change The Facts 2017".


www.tiny.cc/riverbendmap