If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, May 22, 2021

A mental traveller's tale


 

It's a nose-pinchingly cold morning at "Riverbend". Too cold to go for our usual walk through the village of Nelligen. Instead, I may take a mental walk through my other favourite village, Tegehe, high in the hills with the Bali Sea shimmering in the heat below.

 

First a refreshing swim at Banjar Hills Retreat, my favourite place in Bali. With only three bungalows, I spent whole weeks there as the only guest, dipping in and out the pool, and dipping in and out of books ...

... if I wasn't being massaged into gentle oblivion by Tegehe's masseuse par excellence, Ketut Anggreni (I hope you are you reading this, Ketut!)

Time to wake up and get up and meet the wonderful people of Tegehe:
























































 

Wonderful memories of wonderful times in a wonderful place, but now it's back to more of "Unfinished Business" at "Riverbend", a fascinating account of Paul Keating's interrupted revolution of Australia's economy.

I'd cut off my right arm first before I ever voted Labor but the Keating Revolution, with its floating of the Australian dollar and the liberating of finance from its regulatory shackles to introducing a universal super-annuation scheme, saved us from becoming "the white trash of Asia".


Googlemap Riverbend