If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, May 21, 2021

'House in Gastouri for rent for 2 mths. Occupant travelling. Reasonable rent.'

Read the book online

 

I should never have been in Greece at all, that's the point. I was actually on my way home. Greece, as we know, is full of foreigners who were once on their way home from somewhere and got stranded there. They wash up on the beach while floating idly past, disappointed by something or other - the lack of a new beginning, perhaps, wherever they've just been. They get snared amongst the driftwood and then can't move on."

The book's blurb which read, "In a village on the island of Corfu, alone in the cottage of a man he's never met, an Australian actor gradually pieces together the strange life story of the writer whose house he is living in. As he explores his surroundings and makes new friends in Corfu, his own life begins to appear to him like an illuminating shadow-play of his absent host's", got me interested, but it was the first few pages and those few lines "I should never have been in Greece at all ...", which really got me hooked.

I should never have been in Greece either, as I was actually on my way home to Australia on completion of a contract assignment in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, when my Saudi boss suggested that I should continue my work from his office in Piraeus. And so I, too, got stranded in Greece for another eighteen months during which time I stayed on more than one occasion in my boss's villa on Messonghi Beach in Corfu.

Of course, I should have stayed longer, but I knew that if I had stayed much longer, I might've never left, and so I did. Non, je ne regrette rien! - well, maybe un peu. Still, I now have Robert Dessaix's novel to colour in the faint smudges of the golden memories I left behind.

'Farewell, my friend! And when you are at home, home in your own land, remember me at times. Mainly to me you owe the gift of life.'
                                     (Nausicaa to Odysseus)


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. Robert Dessaix is an Australian novelist, essayist and journalist whom I first encountered as presenter of the ABC program "Books and Writing". He has written three novels, including "Corfu", three auto-biographies, and half-a-dozen non-fiction books, of which "(And so forth)" and "As I was saying - a collection of musings" are my favourites.