If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, May 28, 2021

Driver's wanted for what?

 

Yes, we're back from town where we stocked up on duck food for our raft of ducks on the pond, and enough sunflower seeds to see our king parrots through the winter. On the way, I spotted this apostrophe-challenged van. I was tempted to apply but then I worried, "Driver is wanted for what?"

And, speaking of cars, at the servo I was behind a chap whose car had the numberplate RM-4711. "Are you German?" I ask. "No, but my wife is, he replied, adding, "this is her car." No. 4711 - Eau de Cologne; get it?

Of course, I rescued some more books from our local op-shop. I mean, how could I resist yet another book about T.E. Lawrence for a mere $2. As for "The March of Folly", I already have a copy which I want to read again but I just won't find it in my library until I have rearranged all those thousands of books by authors' names (I really must get away from arranging my books by size and colour, OSASCOMP doesn't apply!!!)

I also already have a copy of Alain de Botton's "How Proust Can Change Your Life", but how can one refuse to give a good home to a book which comes complete with a bookmark to indicate that it was acquired for £10.05 at the Chapters Bookstore in Parnell Street in Dublin, next to the Rotunda Hospital at the end of Moore Street? In fact, I emailed the Chapters Bookstore to say that their book has found its way to Australia.

I emailed the Chapters Bookstore in Dublin, "From one booklover to another, I thought I just let you know I picked up your book in a local op-shop. I love Alain de Botton! (beats reading ROUND IRELAND WITH A FRIDGE :-) The book was still with its pricetag of 10.05 Pound and your bookmark! With greetings from Australia." Someone called Megan replied, "Thanks for your email, really lovely to see! We’ve shared it on twitter." It's what booklovers do!

 

After a beautiful Thai lunch at the Sawatdee Restaurant with our friends Lorraine and Heimo, we crossed the road for coffee and cake at Amber's also apostrophe-challenged café, and are now safely back at Riverbend, lit the fire and settled in for the weekend. Retirement is so exciting!

P.S. Oh, and Padma went for her eye test and, of course, they told her she needs new glasses!!! How else can they pay off all that new-fangled equipment they now have instead of the old-fashioned vision test:

They also gave her a hearing test but the results were still the same: she won't listen to me!


Googlemap Riverbend