If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tonga calling!

 

 

I've just received mail from Tonga! It's been a few years already since my trip to Tonga where I met the Austrian Horst - Hoasi in Tongan - on his little island of Lifuka and we have been in contact - on and off- ever since.

In January 2009 Hoasi moved to the even more remote island of Uiha and into a so-called 'hurricane house'. Since February 2012 he's lived in a 'fale Tonga', a native hut, right on the beach. His only 'luxury' is a solar panel to light a single electric bulb, run his radio/CD-player, and occasionally operate his blender to make banana shakes (shades of "The Lotus Eater"?).

I'd asked him to send me some photos of his island idyll but, as he tells me, he can't afford even a simple digital camera. Pity I didn't know earlier because I recently 'junked' two old digital cameras by donating them to Vinnies or else I could have sent one to him.

If you have an old digital camera - preferably one that uses the old AA-size batteries but if it doesn't it should still have its own battery recharger - would you brighten Hoasi's day by sending it to him?

However, even a simple postcard to say 'Hi' would give him a thrill!

P.S. My non-resident cynic, Canadian Chris, who's spent most of his life drinking Canada dry (or should that be 'CANADA DRY' ?), suggests that I might as well send a complete computer outfit as Hoasi wouldn't be able to download his pictures without it. No need to go to that extreme, Canadian Chris, as there is the ubiquitous internet café on nearby Lifuka Island which offers such facilities.

 

I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book.