If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, November 23, 2014

What's on telly and what's for dinner?

M.C. Escher's 'Klimmen en dalen' (‘Ascending and Descending’)

 

Call me a nerd but work has been my life and the principal source of my life's meaning! I loved my work which was always challenging and inspiring. On the rare occasion when it wasn't, I didn't stay long.

I mean, if you're going to work all your life, it had better be something you like. If not, remember that they write tragedies about people like you.

If most people seem to view their work as some sort of Escher-like drudge, it may be because they are still working at jobs chosen for them by their sixteen-year-old selves. I chose my first job when I was 14. And the next one when I was 17. And again when I was 19. All up, I made well over fifty choices to keep me challenged and inspired.

Mind you, I may not have the last laugh because I have now been in my last "job" - retirement - for over fourteen years and my interests seem to be reduced to what's on telly and what's for dinner.