If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A change is as good as a holiday

 

In my chronically peripatetic life in the past, I used to plot my escape almost as soon as I had arrived somewhere. A growing familiarity with a place led to boredom and restlessness, and leaving it was usually the easier option than staying put.

After an employer had put me up in some fancy hotel, from the Inya Lake Hotel in Rangoon to the E & O Hotel in Penang and the Al-Harithy in Jeddah to the the Savoy in Piraeus or the Athenium Intercontinental in Athens, I'd get restless after several months in the same room and, on the spur of the moment, ring Reception to send up the bellboy and move me to another room on another floor with another view.

Nowadays there are no more bellboys and no more fancy hotels but the need for change is still there and so, again on the spur of the moment, I moved my 'electronic nerve centre' into the hallway where I can see the river on one side and the pond on the other as I browse the web or listen to the radio. As they say, a change is as good as a holiday.