If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, June 6, 2021

The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work

 

Modern-day philosopher Alain de Botton is no Plato: he doesn't do what the ancient Greeks used to do. The ancient Greeks used to sit around for days and debate how many teeth a horse has. They thought they could figure it out by just sitting there, instead of checking the horse.

Alain de Botton's approach is far more down-to-earth, and his books are far more readable and enjoyable. His "Pleasures and Sorrows of Work" is a witty and charming exploration of the joys and sorrows of the modern workplace, beautifully evoking what other people get up to all day to make our frenzied contemporary world function the way it does.

 

Read the book online at www.archive.org
Just SIGN UP (it's free!), LOG IN and BORROW

 

The book celebrates work which I can relate to as I have always enjoyed my work - to me, weekends were the worst as I couldn't wait for Monday to come around so I could get back into it. Alain writes that most of us are still working at jobs chosen for us by our sixteen-year-old selves. Well, I chose my work when I was fourteen and I've never looked back!

With a philosophical eye and his characteristic combination of wit and wisdom, Alain leads us on a journey around a deliberately eclectic range of occupations. Why, there's even a chapter on Accountancy which, among other things - or, as accountants would say, inter alia - states:



Have you made your peace with oblivion yet, Des?


Googlemap Riverbend