If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, June 11, 2021

Why is it easier to fall asleep in front of the fireplace unintentionally than it is to fall asleep in bed intentionally?

 

I've suffered from insomnia for as long as I can remember. You know the light that comes on when you open the refrigerator door? Just imagine it stays on all the time, even after you have closed the door. That's what it's like inside my head. To put Descartes before the horse, "I think, therefore I can't sleep."

The last time I consulted a doctor about it, he told me, "Insomnia is very common. Try not to lose any sleep over it." And I no longer do because I am retired and can afford to be tired during the day. If things get really bad, I can take an afternoon siesta on the old sofa on the verandah.

The colder weather has put a stop to the siestas on the verandah, but I've since discovered that sitting in front of a hissing and crackling fireplace makes my eyelids get heavier than my thoughts. Last night I decided to roll out my sleeping bag and sleep in front of the burning fireplace. The only thing that got me up this morning was my bladder!


Googlemap Riverbend