If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, October 21, 2022

How to say in Thai, "Is there sand in your 'desert'?"

 

Another morning in the warm-water pool during which I had to add more mnemonics to my repertoire. The weather outside was as wet as inside the pool, and so we spent some more time in their café over a hot chocolate and bun.

Of course, no day in town is complete without a visit to Vinnies and the Salvos. Padma picked up enough wool to make more blankets for 'Wrap With Love' to cover large parts of Africa, and I picked up a copy of Barry Crump's "Wild Pork and Watercress" (made into the movie "Hunt for the Wilderpeople"), Kingsley Amis's "Memoirs", and George Greenfield's "Scribblers for Bread - Aspects of the English Novel since 1945". And a book parcel containing J.M. Coetzee's "Diary of a Bad Year" was waiting for me at the post office.

And no day in town is complete without a garlic-and-pepper king prawn lunch at our favourite Thai Restaurant. There was no entry in my Thai phrase book to help me ask, "Is there sand in your 'desert'?", so I passed.


Googlemap Riverbend