If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

The Shiralee

Read the book online at www.archive.org

 

When I want to remind myself why, after two decades of wandering, I returned to Australia, and to reaffirm my love for this country, I read D'Arcy Niland'a books. His first, and by far the most iconic, is "The Shiralee".

 

 

Published in 1955, the book was made into a movie two years later, starring Peter Finch; however, I prefer the 1987 Bryan Brown version.

Go on, sit down and watch it, and if your childhood memories don't come flooding back and, if you're still living overseas, you don't run to the nearest QANTAS office to buy yourself a ticket home, then there's something wrong with you (unless you're from Sunshine, Victoria and staying up late right now, in which case there's no help for you anyway).


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. By contrast, watch the Peter Finch version here.