If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, June 1, 2024

Islam - The Untold Story

 

Avid readers know a lot of unfamiliar words but often don't know how to pronounce them because they read them in a book rather than hearing them, because English spelling tends to reflect the developmental history of a word rather than its pronunciation. I mean, if you had never seen the two words "laughter" and "daughter", it is unlikely that you would guess correctly the pronunciation of one, and impossible to guess both correctly, right?

Which is why, if I get a chance to listen to the audio of a book which I suspect holds many unfamiliar words, I read along with it, which also slows down my reading speed and thus adds to the reading pleasure.

 

 

Having watched Tom Holland's controversial documentary "Islam - The Untold Story", I was keen to read his book "In the Shadow of the Sword", and was lucky to find both the book and the audio book on the internet.

What a find! What a treat! And I learned how to pronounce "Ctesiphon"!


Googlemap Riverbend