If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, June 6, 2024

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari

 

Read the book online at www.archive.org

 

I am not a fan of personal development or so-called self-help books written by so-called motivational writers. I prefer writers that have previously done something with their life. I mean, almost by definition "self-help" means you wouldn't need a book, but this one got me in because of the Ferrari in its catchy title.

And, let's face it, at two dollars at my favourite op-shop I didn't have much to lose, and possibly even a lot to gain as it seemed to have been much-read by its previous owner, a Sonya Mamouney, who had also underlined many passages and left her business card inside the pages, whether as a bookmark or an invitation to the next reader, I'm not sure.

 

I did sent Sonya an email telling her that her book had found a new home, but it was returned "sonya.mamouney wasn't found at tasmanholidayparks.com". Maybe she, too, sold her Ferrari and set sail to salvation and finished up with a Buddha-like smile on her face.

 

The price sticker of 175 rupee converts to something like $3.15 and suggests that she had bought it somewhere in India and spent almost as little as I have which means neither of us is too much out of pocket.

Of course, I never come home with just one book: today's "re-homing" of abandoned books include "The Porcupine" which is another Julian Barnes masterpiece; "Points Unknown - A Century of Great Exploration"; "The Year of Living Danishly - Uncovering the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country" (a book about Denmark); and finally "Faster -the acceleration of just about everything" by James Gleick, all of which will go straight to my "medicine closet" library - click here - to be read after I have fully digested today's large lunch of flathead and salad and chips at the club.


Googlemap Riverbend