If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Friday, March 2, 2018

Shaken, not stirred

 

Which brings me straight to the subject: bonds (and term deposits) versus shares. Which are riskier at a time when we live longer and our retirement savings have to last us for almost as long as our working lifespan?

A picture is worth a thousand words and the above chart compares cash deposits with industrial shares over 37 years. The example shows $100,000 invested in both industrial shares and term deposits in 1979, with all income from both investments spent and not reinvested. After receiving interest payments every year, a term deposit is still $100,000 after 37 years whilst shares, in addition to the income received, are now worth $1.9 million. The chart speaks for itself.

Personally, I didn't have a lazy hundred thousand dollars to put into the share market in 1979, neither ten years later, but I "joined" the chart in the late 90s. Again, instead of buying shares in the S&P 200 Industrials Index, I did pick a few losers. However, I am still happy I didn't put my money away in "safe" cash deposits but made the market's volatility my fickle friend.

Today's term deposits pay 2.3%. Compare that to the very healthy 5% in dividends (plus franking credits) paid by the likes of BHP and the banks, even while their prices have been dropping for the past few days.

I'm shaken but not stirred.


www.tiny.cc/riverbendmap