If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, May 23, 2024

Flathead

For 51 years Kent Wong has stood over the deep fryer at the Busy Bee Fish Bar, serving his iconic secret recipe battered chips to generations both old and young within the Bundaberg community. Now, with Kent's retirement looming, it is in the hands of his son Andrew to decide whether he can keep the Busy Bee open for future generations. For more, click here

 

Filmmaker James Latter, who produced the Busy Bee documentary, "World Famous in Bundaberg", is currently producing the film "Flathead", the story of a raddled septuagenarian returning to his blue-collar childhood home.

It will be a cross between a documentary and narrative film which will capture Bundaberg in a realistic way that highlights the region's working-class people. “We were driving through North Bundy and there was few farmers burning cane and it was just on sunset and I thought to myself ‘that this is a town which should be represented in cinema’ as it’s a town that still feels like old Australia … there’s a real character to it and its people.”

I've always had a sentimental attachment to Bundaberg ever since my friendship with Noel Butler whom I met aboard the ship PATRIS in 1967 when I was returning to Europe after my compulsory two years in Australia. Noel, who was from Bundaberg but already then living and working in New Guinea, remained my best friend until his death in 1995.

I shall look out for this film which promises to be unpolished, honest and a little rough around the edges at times, just like my old mate Noel.


Googlemap Riverbend