If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, May 18, 2024

The Colossus of Maroussi

Narration was read from Henry Miller's "The Colossus of Maroussi".
If you love Greece and its rich history, read it here

 

At my age there's little point in adding more to my bucket list; instead, I simply renamed it by replacing the 'b' with an 'f'. Still, I'm glad I've ticked off some of the important items such as when I took an educational tour of all the ancient Greek sites during the last winter I lived there.

I also visited Mycenae, the prehistoric Greek city in the Peloponnese which Homer celebrated as "broad-streeted" and "golden". My only regret is that I didn't know then of Henry Miller's landmark travel book "The Colossus of Maroussi" which would've made me fall in love with Greece all over again and perhaps kept me there for a little longer.

 

 

Enraptured by a young woman's account of the landscapes of Greece, the great American novelist Henry Miller set off to explore the Grecian countryside with his friend Lawrence Durrell in 1939. He describes drinking from sacred springs, staying in hotels that "have seen better days, but which have an aroma of the past", and nearly being trampled to death by sheep and encountering the flamboyant Greek poet Katsumbalis, who 'could galvanize the dead with his talk'. It's a lyrical classic of travel writing which represented an epiphany in Miller's life.

To quote from the book, "To be silent the whole day, see no newspaper, hear no radio, listen to no gossip, be thoroughly and completely lazy, thoroughly and completely indifferent to the fate of the world is the finest medicine a man can give himself", which is exactly what I will do today as I sit on the verandah and re-read this truly wonderful book.

And so can you: simply click here.


Googlemap Riverbend