If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Rest in Peace, John Burke!

 

John Burke in the centre of the photo and I at the ANZ Banking Group Retired Officers' Club's Christmans lunch at the ANZ Bank Head Office in Martin Place in December 2010

 

Walk a mile in someone else's shoes, they say, but how can you even begin to do that when that someone spends three days a week hooked up to a dialysis machine? How can you even imagine what that feels like unless you've gone through the same agony?

When John Burke wanted to divert himself from his dialysis sessions which he had to undergo three times a week to stay alive, he found in me a willing listener when he phoned me several times, on some days as often as five times. But there were occasions when I was elsewhere on the property, and I would arrive back at the house totally out of breath, only to find John at the other end again, wisecracking or wanting to reminisce about our time together at the ANZ Bank almost sixty years ago. I knew it helped him break up the tedium of removing unwanted waste from his blood, but it got mine boiling at times which is why I asked him to limit his calls to perhaps just two a day. Unwisely, as it turned out, because he took it badly and I never heard from him again.

Until yesterday when I received this email from another retired ANZer:

 

Evening Peter, Not sure if you have currently been in touch with John Bourke, not been well last few years but we have just been advised that he died on 25th June. Don’t know any funeral details yet but should be available shortly. Regards Noel

 

John Burke, as head-ledgerkeeper at the ANZ Bank in Canberra Civic, had been my immediate boss during my first two years as ledgerkeeper from 1965 to 1967 during which we were also "inmates" in the same boarding-house. He was again my boss as accountant of the Kingston branch where I worked as a teller for another nine months or so after I had come back from South Africa and before I went to New Guinea.

We met again after over forty years at the ANZ Banking Group Retired Officers' Club's Christmas lunch in 2010, followed by several meetings at my old watering hole, the Blues Point Hotel in McMahons Point, and the nearby Kirribilli Club, and continued to stay in touch by telephone until that fateful out-of-breath call after which I never heard from him again. How I now wished that I had held my breath instead of being out of it!

 

 

Rest in Peace, John! You have left your mark on my life, and there'll always be a place on the South Coast where you will be remembered!


Googlemap Riverbend