If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, July 1, 2024

The happy man

Read along here

 

It is a dangerous thing to order the lives of others and I have often wondered at the self-confidence of politicians, reformers and suchlike who are prepared to force upon their fellows measures that must alter their manners, habits, and points of view. I have always hesitated to give advice, for how can one advise another how to act unless one knows that other as well as one knows oneself? Heaven knows, I know little enough of myself."

"The Happy Man" is a short story about giving advice. The narrator starts off with his general thoughts on giving advice, and then tells us about the time when a complete stranger walked into his house and asked for advice. W. Somerset Maugham never imposes his views on the reader. He puts a question and then leaves it to the reader to answer it.

I agree with Maugham that "life, unfortunately, is something that you can lead but once; mistakes are often irreparable, and who am I that I should tell this one and that how he should lead it? Life is a difficult business and I have found it hard enough to make my own a complete and rounded thing."

"The Happy Man" has a happy ending as seems to have had my own life - although I haven't yet come to the final reckoning - as I sit close by the fireplace, beanie on my head and rug over my knees, and contemplate my own roller-coaster life full of downs as much as exhilarating ups.


Googlemap Riverbend