If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Always on Sunday

 

For some, Sunday is a day for genuflection; for me, Sunday is a day for reflection. Reflection on where I was and what I did before I fell victim to domesticity. And what nicer place and time to reflect on than my eighteen month in Piraeus?

Wikipedia sums it up as "the story of Ilya, a self-employed, free-spirited prostitute who lives in the port of Piraeus in Greece, and Homer, an American tourist and classical scholar who is enamored of all things Greek. Homer feels Ilya's life style typifies the degradation of Greek classical culture, and attempts to steer her onto the path of morality, while, at the same time, Ilya attempts to loosen Homer up. It's a variation of the Pygmalion plus 'hooker with a heart of gold' story."

 

"Τα Παιδιά του Πειραιά", The Children of Piraeus

 

For me, it sums up Greece itself. Watch it on a cold Sunday and you'll get all warm inside. Watch it on a hot summer's night and you'll believe you're in Greece already.

"If I search the world over/I'll find no other port/Which has the magic/Of my Port Piraeus."
"Osso kai an psaxo / den vrisko alo limani / treli na me ‘hi kani / oso ton Pirea "
"Όσο κι αν ψάξω / δεν βρίσκω άλλο λιμάνι / τρελή να με ΄χει κάνει / όσο τον Πειραιά ."


Googlemap Riverbend