If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Chess causes cancer

Playing chess with my mate Noel on the beach at Lae, PNG, Christmas 1974

 

Every time I hear of yet another medical study that "proves" that one thing is good for you while another is bad, I'm again reminded of the £300,000 of taxpayers' money spent by two scientists from the University of Oxford on a three-year study that proved that ducks like water - click here.

In the interest of advancing medical knowledge, I started my own study forty-five years ago, at Christmas 1974, while sitting on the beach in Lae in Papua New Guinea. Assidiously - which means with great care and perseverance, Des! -, I continued this study on the beach at Wewak, on the Return to Paradise Beach in Samoa, at the poolside of the Al-Harithy Hotel in Jeddah, and in front of my little beachside shack at Pallarenda.

 

Playing chess with my mate Noel on the beach at Wewak, PNG, Christmas 1975

 

Twenty years later, at Calvary John James Hospital in Canberra, the results were in: chess causes cancer, especially if played on a tropical beach --- and I have a huge A-shaped incision on my back to prove it!


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. Oh, and by the way, my mate Noel died in 1995. He was part of yet another study that all of us are engaged in: proving that life is terminal!