If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, April 8, 2024

Don't judge a book by its movie

 

The Riddle of the Stinson is a 1987 Australian television film about the crash of the Stinson plane in Lamington, Queensland, Australia in February 1937 and the rescue of its survivors by local Queenslander Bernard O'Reilly. A true story of old Australia. I lament its passing.

 

I didn't know that there was a book of the 1987 movie "The Riddle of the Stinson" until I found a copy of "Green Mountains" wrongly tucked away in the self-help book section at Vinnies. (I normally don't visit that section, but today I simply couldn't help myself!)


 

Read the book online at www.archive.org

 

"Before I looked down, I knew what I would see – a mass of smashed and charred metal. It was more than that: it was a horrible, unclean thing, which held the trapped remains of what once were men – a replusive thing which I could not go near. The voices – men alive, but in what condition? I stood for a minute, afraid to go to them, afraid of what I would see."

"Green Mountains" recreates the events surrounding Bernard O’Reilly's heroic search for and discovery of the survivors of the Stinson wreck. In the second part of the book, O'Reilly tells of the family's move to Queensland from the Blue Mountains of New South Wales and their work in establishing the Guest House at Green Mountains. What a find!


Googlemap Riverbend