If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, April 22, 2024

I'm running out of shelf space!

 

After our early-morning swim in the heated pool, Padma dropped me off at Vinnies while she did her weekly grocery shopping. So what do I do when I'm marooned inside Vinnies for a couple of hours? I find more books, that's what I do!

 

 

And what a find it was this morning: a huge coffee table edition of Alistair Cooke's "Reporting America" in almost mint condition (I spent many years overseas listening to his "Letters from America" on the BBC); then another cracker of a book by William McInnes, "Yeah, Nah! - A celebration of life and the words that make us who were are"; then one of the greatest travel books of all time, Henry Miller's "The Colossus of Maroussi"; and finally Stephen Bogart's "Bogart - In Search of My Father", slightly dog-eared but these days you could only find it in an op-shop.

 


To whet your appetite, read a preview here

 

It's time for lunch on the sun-flooded verandah, with a slice of Hawaiian pizza and a glass of Greek retsina, followed by an apple turnover from 'Bakers Delight' (they dispensed with the apostrophe in their name, and so will I) It's been a great day; the lark's on the wing; the snail's on the thorn: God's in his heaven (I couldn't have said it any better than Robert Browning); my only problem is that I'm running out of shelf space in all three of my libraries.


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. By the way, my pre-Deceased Estate Sale is up and running - click here. I just hope there won't be too many 'Expressions of Interest', as I don't think I'll ever find another place with enough space for my books.