If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Fahrenheit 451

 

I don't know what's going to happen in the next few months, either personally or globally, but the one thing I do know is that no matter what will happen, I will, as always, be reading my way through it.

As is the nature of reading, one book leads to another, although in this case the movie "The Bookshop", and not the book on which it is based, led me to "Fahrenheit 451" (or should that be 232 degrees Celsius?).

The movie "The Bookshop" closely follows the book and uses whole chunks of its dialogue verbatim, and yet it adds rather gratuitously Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel by making it Florence Green's (played by Emily Mortimer, daughter of Sir John Mortimer, the creator of "Rampole of the Bailey") first sale to Mr Brundish (played by the incomparable Bill Nighy). Mr Brundish reads "Fahrenheit 451" but dies before he has a chance to read the same author's "Dandelion Wine."

I have since read "The Bookshop", and I also read "Fahrenheit 451" and watched its movie, too. Unlike Mr Brundish, I hope to be around long enough to still read "Dandelion Wine" and anything else by Ray Bradbury that I can lay my hands on.


Googlemap Riverbend