If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

All Quiet On The Western Front

 

Was it Erich Maria Remarque's book "All Quiet On The Western Front" or Heinrich Böll's story "Stranger, bear word to the Spartans We ..." that turned me into an emigrant? I read both while my classmates were still collecting Karl May adventure books.

Although I've forgotten which I read first, I can still picture both books in my mind's eye: "All Quiet on the Western Front" was a hardcopy edition under the title "Im Westen Nichts Neues" bei Bertelsmann, and Heinrich Böll's short story was in an early paperback edition by rororo-Verlag under the cover title "Wanderer, kommst Du nach Sparta ..."

Since even the 1930 film version had done nothing to stop the ascent of a certain Charlie-Chaplin-like figure and the outbreak of World War II, I became an instant conscientious objector to any military service, and told the German "Bundeswehr" where they could stick their "Wehrpass".

I left Germany in June 1965 - click here - and have lived a peaceful life south of the Equator ever since, far away from the frictions in Europe.


Googlemap Riverbend