If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Wednesday, December 22, 2021

It wasn't me!

 

Although my life is a constant battle between wanting to correct grammar and wanting to have friends, and even though I wouldn't hesitate to point out mistakes in other people's writing and even their speeches, as a booklover I draw a line at making any annotations inside a book.

The above annotation was made by a previous reader, and an ignorant American reader at that, because only in American English is there a distinction between vice (moral depravity) and vise (a tool). That distinction is not made in British English to which I've subscribed for sixty years, and where vice is used for both. Are you reading this, Des?

 

 

I became aware of John Ajvide Lindqvist through the movie "Let the Right One In" which is based on this book by the same name. In it a boy named Oskar - "I'm only twelve. But I've been that for a long time" - is regularly bullied by his stronger classmates but never strikes back.

It's a Stephen King-like horror story but with lots of snow, and I couldn't get my head around it. It'll go straight back to Vinnies, complete - or compleat, if you wish - with annotation, but not before you've learned about the difference between vice and vise - and vice versa! - and also heard of John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'm so pleased I've enriched your life!


Googlemap Riverbend