If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Monday, December 20, 2021

Five more!

 

Padma has just come back from town with several book parcels in one hand and a trail of EFTPOS dockets as long as her arm in the other. I think she only shops to accumulate Flybuys points which she converts into steak knives or pairs of scissors.

Not that I should complain because these last five books - and they aren't the last five yet either! - came at quite a cost what with the postage and all. As Erasmus so rightly pointed out, "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

As I wrote, they aren't the last five, because I'm still waiting for more, including Donald Jackson's rare and oh so beautifully produced "The Story of Writing" which was also made into an absolutely stunning documentary still available on YouTube (and may it never be removed!)

 

 

"Every private library is a reading plan", the Spanish philosopher José Gaos once wrote. Perhaps I should plan on reading Gabriel Zaid's little 140-page gem "So Many Books" before I start on any of the others.


Googlemap Riverbend

 

P.S. ... and thanks for your Christmas card, Reg and Kini, which also arrived today. We have vertical blinds now, so I can't add the card to any window display - see here - but it will have pride of place on the mantelpiece. And, yes, we must make plans for our Bonegilla trip!!!